Monday, February 28, 2011

holy ipv6, batman

i just realized my server is passing ipv6 traffic through ssh for my clients. i enabled ipv6 on a windows laptop (netsh interface ipv6 install, not ipv6 install) and told putty to connect to an ipv4 address, tunneling a dynamic socks proxy on both ipv4 and ipv6 to my remote server (which has an average ipv4 and ipv6 network with 6to4 set up for whatever my isp's 6to4 gateway is). then set up my browser to use the dynamic forward port as its proxy, and hit 'ipv6.google.com'.

BOOM. page comes up. ipv6.google.com<->my6to4box<->putty<->windows<->browser. it just friggin works! http://test-ipv6.com/ says it is indeed the ipv6 addy of my6to4box that it's seeing, so ipv4 and ipv6 really are being tunneled automatically. this is pretty cool.

NOW WHY ISN'T EVERYONE DOING THIS YET?!

(what's funny is i only tested this today because xkcd kindly informed its readership that they finally fucking set up an AAAA record which i'd been complaining about for over a year)

No comments:

Post a Comment